News & Events
The world of tax and business is everchanging.
We are committed to providing our clients and contacts with regular tax and business updates.
To receive these, we invite you to subscribe to our regular newsletters which you can do so from our homepage.
To view our current and past newsletters, please click on the Newsletter link.
- Changing Your Tax Return After It’s Lodged Say for example that we have already lodged your 2017-18 tax return and forwarded your notice of assessment to you saying that everything is as discussed, but you then realise that something has been left out of your return, or you accidentally included an extra deduction or doubled one up. There’s no need to panic... Read more » 16.10.2018 | Read more
- Are You Planning To Sell Your Business? From the moment you acquire or commence a business you should assume that one day you’ll want to sell or merge your business with another business. To enable the best possible return, you should always keep the business in a “saleable state”. If you decide to sell your business today and want to list it... Read more » 16.10.2018 | Read more
- Director Penalty Notices Changes coming to the Director Penalty Notice regime. The most dreaded weapon in the arsenal of the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) is the “Director Penalty Notice” (DPN) and its powers are being broadened and expanded to increase the liabilities for all directors. A DPN is a notice that the ATO can send to a director... Read more » 18.09.2018 | Read more
- Self-employed? You can claim a deduction for saving for your retirement A recent change to the rules around superannuation means that more Australians may be eligible to claim a tax deduction for putting money into super. Before June 30, 2017, if more than 10% of your income was sourced from salary or wages from an employer, you were rendered ineligible to claim any tax deduction for... Read more » 10.09.2018 | Read more
- Does Annual Leave Accrue Leave? If you have ever wondered the answer to this question, well here is the complete overview. Fundamentally, annual leave does accrue whilst an employee is on a period of paid annual leave. For employers subject to the National workplace system, section 87(2) of the Fair Work Act (the “Act”) 2009 states that “an employee’s entitlement... Read more » 16.08.2018 | Read more
- Claiming self-education expenses The value of a good education is widely accepted, and it is a common experience over one’s working lifetime to find that further learning is required along the path of one’s chosen career. Changing technology and evolving workplaces means that at some stage in every taxpayer’s life, an educational re-boot could become necessary — as... Read more » 2.08.2018 | Read more
- The future of business A newly released report into the outcomes of a wide-ranging survey of Australian and New Zealand businesses (from Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand) provides some interesting insights for all business owners to take note of. Businesses are facing unprecedented levels of uncertainty and competition. Two in five (39%) businesses surveyed say that maintaining profit... Read more » 16.07.2018 | Read more
- Tips for your tax return Before we sit down with you to go over your tax return, certain information will be needed. Of course these days pre-filling takes care of a lot of the “paperwork”, and if you wait until late-July or mid-August the ATO’s systems will most likely be able to provide most of the information from employers, banks,... Read more » 3.07.2018 | Read more
- Are You Being Scammed? We all get calls from the Australian Taxation Office and we tend to think a call from them is the real thing because honestly, who wants to pretend to be from the Tax Office? This common belief is being used by scammers to target individuals and small businesses. The Australian Taxation Office has released a... Read more » 21.06.2018 | Read more
- Builders: Get your taxable payments report ready before August 28 Businesses in the building and construction industry, take note – the deadline is August 28, 2018 to report the total payments you made to each contractor you enlisted the services of in 2017-18. You will need to report these payments to the ATO on the Taxable payments annual report. The taxable payments reporting system was... Read more » 7.06.2018 | Read more