News & Events
The world of tax and business is everchanging.
We are committed to providing our clients and contacts with regular tax and business updates.
To receive these, we invite you to subscribe to our regular newsletters which you can do so from our homepage.
To view our current and past newsletters, please click on the Newsletter link.
- Do you need an agreement with your business partner? Going into new business with other people is exciting and can be extremely rewarding. A formal agreement can set the ground rules and stop owners getting caught out if things don’t quite go as well as planned. Whether your firm is structured as a partnership or a company, you and your business partners need to... Read more » 6.12.2018 | Read more
- Ten Things the Best Founders Do Bain & Company through their “Founder’s Mentality” concept that has been extensively researched, have concluded that: Leaders and the front line staff must share a bold mission, a focus on the needs of their core customers, and a commitment to develop the routines, behaviours and talent that transform their business and industry. Only 1 in... Read more » 20.11.2018 | Read more
- The work Christmas party It’s not quite Christmas time yet, but most businesses will be in the process of thinking ahead to the yuletide festivities, if not already into well-advanced planning. One of the perennial questions is if and how fringe benefits tax applies to these activities. There is no separate fringe benefits tax (FBT) category for Christmas parties... Read more » 6.11.2018 | Read more
- Changing Your Tax Return After It’s Lodged Say for example that we have already lodged your 2017-18 tax return and forwarded your notice of assessment to you saying that everything is as discussed, but you then realise that something has been left out of your return, or you accidentally included an extra deduction or doubled one up. There’s no need to panic... Read more » 16.10.2018 | Read more
- Are You Planning To Sell Your Business? From the moment you acquire or commence a business you should assume that one day you’ll want to sell or merge your business with another business. To enable the best possible return, you should always keep the business in a “saleable state”. If you decide to sell your business today and want to list it... Read more » 16.10.2018 | Read more
- Director Penalty Notices Changes coming to the Director Penalty Notice regime. The most dreaded weapon in the arsenal of the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) is the “Director Penalty Notice” (DPN) and its powers are being broadened and expanded to increase the liabilities for all directors. A DPN is a notice that the ATO can send to a director... Read more » 18.09.2018 | Read more
- Self-employed? You can claim a deduction for saving for your retirement A recent change to the rules around superannuation means that more Australians may be eligible to claim a tax deduction for putting money into super. Before June 30, 2017, if more than 10% of your income was sourced from salary or wages from an employer, you were rendered ineligible to claim any tax deduction for... Read more » 10.09.2018 | Read more
- Does Annual Leave Accrue Leave? If you have ever wondered the answer to this question, well here is the complete overview. Fundamentally, annual leave does accrue whilst an employee is on a period of paid annual leave. For employers subject to the National workplace system, section 87(2) of the Fair Work Act (the “Act”) 2009 states that “an employee’s entitlement... Read more » 16.08.2018 | Read more
- Claiming self-education expenses The value of a good education is widely accepted, and it is a common experience over one’s working lifetime to find that further learning is required along the path of one’s chosen career. Changing technology and evolving workplaces means that at some stage in every taxpayer’s life, an educational re-boot could become necessary — as... Read more » 2.08.2018 | Read more
- The future of business A newly released report into the outcomes of a wide-ranging survey of Australian and New Zealand businesses (from Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand) provides some interesting insights for all business owners to take note of. Businesses are facing unprecedented levels of uncertainty and competition. Two in five (39%) businesses surveyed say that maintaining profit... Read more » 16.07.2018 | Read more